Marvellous Mince Pies From TrabolganDecember 7, 2019
It’s not Christmas time until you’ve had your first mince pie, so make the most of the season and roll up your sleeves to make your own. There are many different recipes that range from traditional favourites to tasty new twists, and it’s great fun experimenting to see what your family likes best!
Here at Trabolgan Holiday Village, we just love Christmas, and we’d love to share our favourite mince pie recipe with you this year. We hope you’ll enjoy baking them – they’re easy enough to make with the children, and delicious enough for the whole family to enjoy. Let us know how you get on, and think of all your favourite characters at Trabolgan as we tuck into our Christmas treats, too!
Our Delicious Mince Pie Recipe:
Ingredients for mincemeat
- 225g Suet (vegetarian if you wish)
- 225g Bramley apples
- 125g candied peel
- 675g combined sultanas, raisins and currants
- 175g demerara sugar
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 60ml brandy
Peel, core and chop the apples, and mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon into sterilized glass jars (simply pop into the oven at 150 degrees for three minutes to sterilize) and seal until needed, or use immediately if you just can’t wait for a super mince pie!
Ingredients for pastry:
- 375g plain flour
- 260g softened butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Milk to glaze
- Sieve flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture is like breadcrumbs
- Add sugar and water and mix to a firm dough
- Knead pastry on a floured surface for a few minutes, then wrap in cling film and put into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees/gas mark 7.
- Roll out pastry to 3mm thick, and cut out 10cm rounds to place in your baking trays.
- Put a spoonful of mincemeat into each base, and cover with a 7cm round, brushing the top with milk.
- Make a small cut in the top of each pie for steam to escape, and bake pies for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove mince pies from tray once they are cool, and enjoy served alone, or with cream for an extra Christmas treat!
Are You Looking for A Family Holiday in Ireland?
Trabolgan Holiday Village is the perfect destination for a family holiday in Ireland, with a great choice of newly updated luxurious accommodation on site. We have entertainment and activities for all the family, and we love welcoming back our satisfied guests every year.
Start planning your 2017 holiday today by contacting Trabolgan. Simply call our reservations team on +353 (0) 21 4661551 or visit us online now.