Inspiring Pumpkin Ideas: Tasty Pumpkin SoupOctober 21, 2017
It’s Autumn, and Halloween is fast approaching, so we’ve been thinking about our favourite ways to make the most of the season. The Autumn is all about crisp leaves, Halloween celebrations and delicious harvest produce, making this a great time for cosy, comfort food. It’s the best time of the year for pies, crumbles and hearty soups, and the farmer’s markets are full of fresh fruits and vegetables that will give you plenty of choice throughout the season.
Here at Trabolgan Holiday Village, we love Halloween and will be making the most of the chance to enjoy the spooky season with our guests. Whether you’re joining us for a fabulous family break, or going trick-or-treating in your local area, a bowl of pumpkin soup is the perfect Halloween fare – and it’s healthy, too, so it helps to balance out those treats!
Halloween Pumpkin Soup Recipe
If the kids love carving their Jack O’Lanterns but you hate throwing away the insides of the pumpkins, try this recipe for simple but delicious pumpkin soup. Make sure that your pumpkins are suitable for eating, as some are grown to gargantuan proportions and do not retain much taste!
- Pumpkin flesh, with skin and seeds removed
- Butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots optional
- Vegetable stock to cover
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- Single cream
- Chop the onion and garlic and saute gently in the olive oil or butter, over a low heat.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and carrots if using, and allow to sweat over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the spices and black pepper, and cook for a couple more minutes, stirring.
- Add enough stock to cover and bring to the boil, then allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly before blending until smooth.
- Add cream, stirring well, and season to taste
- Serve with crusty bread, or enjoy a mug of soup around the bonfire if you’re throwing a Halloween party in the garden.
Book a Family Break in Ireland
Trabolgan Holiday Village is a holiday destination that’s ideal for short breaks or holidays with the family. We’ve got activities and entertainment for everyone, including a brand new character, Billy the Badger, for the children to make friends with.
This year, we’ve refurbished much of our self-catering accommodation, and our helpful team will always be on hand to help you plan your break, so start by contacting Trabolgan now. Call our reservations team on +353 (0) 21 4661551 or visit us online today.