How To Carve A PumpkinOctober 3, 2017
Here at Trabolgan Holiday Village, we’re excited that Halloween is on its way! We love celebrations of every kind, and the spooky season is a great time for a party. We’ve got plenty of family activities planned for our Halloween guests, including a disco, fancy dress and a Halloween Show, and we know you’ll love our eerie Dare To Scare Walk, suitable for all the family.
Pumpkins are a common sight at Halloween, and children love to participate in carving their own spooky versions. There are countless inspired designs available online, and it’s exciting to see what every member of the family will come up with!
Carving Pumpkins: How To Make It Easy
- Prepare in advance. If you’re going to carve pumpkins with children, it’s going to get messy! But you can minimise the mess by putting down newspaper or clearing a space outside. You will need to separate the seeds and the flesh, so you will need bowls or a compost bin to dispose of these. If you are using an edible pumpkin, you may want to make pumpkin soup or pie with the flesh, in which case, you can put this directly into a pan or dish for cooking.
- Set up for success. Planning ahead can save a lot of stress when trying to perfect a design, so try out your designs on a piece of paper first, and when you are happy, draw these onto your pumpkin with a pen. Ensure that you have sharp knives or cutting tools that are ideal for children to use.
- Start with the lid. When you have drawn your design onto your pumpkin, start by cutting out the lid. Cut around the top of the pumpkin carefully, and lift the lid away. You should cut through the pumpkin at a 45 degree angle so that you can replace the lid on top when your pumpkin has a candle or torch inside.
- Scoop out the innards. Using a scraper or spoon, scrape out the pumpkin flesh and seeds from inside the pumpkin. You can use the flesh for roasting, or for soup or pie, and you can toast the seeds with spices for a delicious snack.
- Cut out your design. Once you have scraped out all of the flesh that you can, begin to cut your design out using a sharp knife or carving tool. Once finished, you can put a candle or torch inside your pumpkin and set it outside your house to welcome trick-or-treaters, or use it to decorate your home for your Halloween party.
Fabulous Halloween Family Holidays in Ireland?
Trabolgan Holiday Village is an ideal destination for a family halloween holiday in Ireland, with a great choice of luxurious self-catering accommodation on site. This year, we’ve updated all of our Sycamore, Hazel and Noble Fir accommodation to guarantee you an even better holiday experience.
Our activities and entertainment programmes are designed to keep the whole family happy, and we’ll be delighted to help with any aspect of your holiday planning. Book your holiday today by calling our reservations team on +353 (0) 21 4661551 or visit us online now.