De-clutter Your Child’s Bedroom The Easy Way!June 13, 2019
Does your child’s bedroom drive you crazy? Many parents face a daily battle with their children about tidying their room, and this can be frustrating and stressful. While your child doesn’t seem to notice the mess, it can be upsetting to live with a space that is so untidy in your house, and it is also important for your child’s health as is much easier to relax and to enjoy good quality sleep in a calm, clutter-free space.
We believe that setting up storage systems that work is the key to getting the chaos under control, and this means talking to your child about creating a bedroom that he or she can be proud of. Life feels much better when it’s easier to find things and play space is clear and inviting, and our guide to de-cluttering is designed to help you to create the environment you want to live in.
Our Quick Guide To De-cluttering Your Child’s Bedroom
Whether you are aiming for a minimalist bedroom or simply want to see the floor underneath your child’s toys, the key to de-cluttering is to follow a plan. We recommend working through the following steps, gradually reducing the amount of ‘stuff’ in the room and setting up a system that is easy to maintain in the future.
- Remove rubbish. If your children eat in their room, or use the space to create piles of art and paperwork, the best way to start is by removing everything that can be instantly disposed of. Put all dirty clothes into the laundry basket and fill a bag with any rubbish so that you have a clearer space to start with. Get the kids involved in helping with this stage – it’s easy and it may help them to remember not to leave rubbish around the room next time!
- Clear clutter. Having too much stuff is a surefire way to create stress and make cleaning more complicated, so getting rid of everything you don’t need is a very important step. Talk to your children about passing on some of their old toys to children who have very little, or think about whether they could sell some good quality items they no longer use in order to make some pocket money. If your children do not find it easy to be selective with their belongings, you may wish to put some things away in a cupboard or the garage, and rotate these to save space in their bedroom.
- Sort into categories. Setting up a storage system that works is often easiest if you can sort all of the items in the room into categories. It is much easier to tidy toys away if there is a specific place for toy vehicles, another for art supplies and another for lego, for example. Think about whether storage boxes, bags or baskets would fit with your decor, or use an existing chest of drawers or cupboard to keep everything out of sight. You can label each space with a picture or word to help your child to identify them more easily, and encourage them to keep things tidy in the future.
- Set up a daily routine. A daily routine in which children make their own beds can be started from a very young age, and you can add in tasks such as putting laundry away and wiping surfaces as they get older. Helping you to clear their toys away into the appropriate places will encourage children to tidy up after themselves, and you can create a tick list or a reward chart to keep track of chores as they are done if you wish.
- Make it a positive space. A cluttered and untidy bedroom will not be a pleasant place to spend time, but a little effort can create a clear and welcoming space that your child will love to play and relax in. Talk to your child about how he or she would like the room to look, and if your children share a room, think about how you can give them each an individual space. If you are planning to redecorate, you can choose a theme or colour scheme together, but you may find that it is possible to make it feel like a whole new room simply by re-arranging the furniture and creating storage systems that work.
- Promote responsibility. You can encourage your child to take responsibility for his or her own space by making it easy to clean, and agree rules together such as not eating or drinking in the bedroom. You may find that it helps to provide a bin or laundry basket for your child, but this may just create extra work for parents so is worth considering carefully.
Take A Break From The Clutter At Trabolgan!
You can escape the clutter altogether when you book a family holiday at Trabolgan Holiday Village and make the most of our luxurious self-catering holiday accommodation. We have an exciting range of activities and entertainment to keep everyone smiling, and we know you’ll love spending time as a family away from the pressures of daily life.
Your children will love to meet our friendly Woodland characters, including
Florrie the Fox, Wez the Weasel, Billy the Badger and Bonnie the Bunny, and our children’s entertainment team is even more exciting this year as all of our favourites are joined by the PJ Masks. We’re proud to have an excellent entertainment programme for adults and children, including fun, games and a live music line-up that is second to none. We prioritise family fun at Trabolgan, and we know that a family holiday that keeps the kids busy is the best way to ensure that parents can relax, too!
Benefits of De-cluttering Your House And Your Bedroom
A clear, relaxing space to sleep in is just as important for adults as it is for children – and the benefits of decluttering your personal space applies to your whole house, not just your bedroom. If you have found yourself accumulating clutter, you may want to embark on a project to get your house looking and feeling great.
Decluttering your house has so many benefits and will make a bigger difference to your life than many other actions you can take. Start small and work on a single area each day – or each weekend if you do not have time during the week – and you will soon find that you are benefitting from all of the following:
- Better sleep. It’s scientifically proven that it is easier to fall asleep and that sleep is of a better quality when your bedroom is a clutter-free space. You’ve heard the phrase tidy house, tidy mind, and this is really true! Studies show that stress levels correlate with the level of peace or chaos around you, and this will inevitably have an impact on the way in which you sleep.
- Breathing more deeply. Stale, cluttered rooms do not offer the fresh and clean air that our bodies need, and when you clear out the clutter and open the windows, you’ll find that it’s much easier to breathe deeply.
- Increased sense of purpose. Many experts have highlighted the difference that simply making your bed each morning can make to your state of mind. If you are beginning the day by ticking a task off your to-do list and making your bedroom look nicer, you’re bound to feel better about yourself all day. And making your bed is also a very quick way to make a difference – let’s face it, it takes seconds!
- Becoming more productive. Clearing the clutter will make it easier to find the things you need and get ready in the morning, and you can benefit from this throughout your working and personal life. Create systems that streamline your life and you are bound to save time and energy, and feel great, too.
- Cleaner air. Studies have shown that allergen free air is a very important factor in getting good quality sleep, so keeping your bedroom clear and using only natural cleaning products is a key factor in improving your sleep and your health. It’s easier to keep a space clean and dust free when there are fewer things in it, so decluttering is important here, too.
Take A Break In Ireland With Your Family
Here at Trabolgan Holiday Village, family holidays are designed to be great fun for children and adults alike. We have a huge variety of activities and sports for you to try, and a swimming pool paradise complete with Wavemaker and water slide.
We have luxurious self catering accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets, and you can book a midweek, weekend or week-long break for all the family. We also have a touring caravan site which allows you to enjoy all of the facilities and benefits of Trabolgan from the comfort of your own tourer, and we will be glad to take your booking today. Call our reservations team on +353 (0) 21 4661551 or visit us online now.